Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ch-Ch-Chk it

Well, the amazing thing to share is going to have to wait, sort of....
Just wanted to tell you about gig number 2 - !!!
For those that aren’t familiar, !!! is the “name” of the band. To pronounce it, you say it as something like Chk Chk Chk.

Last time I saw these was over two years ago and it was when they were last in the UK (they’re American). At that time, I introduced Tim G to his first gig – muchos funnos.

Soooooo, wind forward to last Thursday. I’d been at Newark all day and so was on a bit of a charge. I got back home about 4.45. Quickly nip Jack up the road, get changed and away.
Down to Newmarket, dive on the A14, then A11, then M11. All flowing well. Hit the North Circular (A406), and the sat nav is telling me about 25 mins to go 8 or so miles. The first few miles went really well, then I hit the queues. I hate that road, with a passion! Took me over half an hour to go the last 3 miles.
Never mind, this was all in the plan. I pulled up outside Tim’s. We waited a few minutes for Bobbie to get home and then shot off to Finchley, then got the tube through to Camden.
Now going to skip forward a bit, as it involves the bit that I’m going to post soon enough...

8.30-sh and we shot off to the venue, KoKo. Second time of being there, and I think it’s a really nice venue. If you haven’t been, it’s like an old fashioned theatre, but with all the seats removed. Really well lit, quite intimate and the sound is good.
We caught the last 10mins of the second support who were pretty good. As we were a bit late getting in, I thought that we’d be towards the back, but it was still quiet-ish, so I took advantage of people getting more drinks and go us just off the rail, dead centre.

WHAT a gig! The lead singer (Nic Offer) has amazing enthusiasm and obviously loves gigging. Practically every track, he came down to the crowd, climbed over the barrier and joined in with the crowd – much to everyone’s enjoyment.
A really tight band. Great musicians and some damn fine tunes.
Much moshing ensued, and the time flew by. An indication of how much the band enjoyed it was that they played an extra track at the end of the encore, not on the setlist.






Whole-heartedly recommend them.

Tonight – Foals, back at the UEA with Natasha & James. No Hannah unfortunately.

By the way, the journey back was much easier. Not much traffic on the M11 after midnight. We got out the gig about 11 tube and drive back to Tim’s, and I was still back home by 1.15!

No comments: