Thursday, November 25, 2010

What No Barry Norman?

Okay, cinemas. Here we go.

My earliest memory of going to the cinema would have been to see Star Wars in 1977. It's quite possible that I went before this (Disney probably), but I don't remember it.
After that was Grease, Chariots of Fire, Moonraker, Ghandi - not necessarily in that order.
There was then a major lull. I think that cinemas very much went out of fashion for quite a while. Then the multiplexes arrived and all was good again.

I was never a huge fan of going to the cinema though. Uncomfortable seats, crowded up close and personal to the great unwashed. Why bother? Just wait a few months, rent it on DVD, then watch it in the comfort of your own home. Sprawl out on the sofa with the all important pause button at the ready for when you need to refill your glass.

A few years ago, I succumbed to temptation though - possibly to see Phantom Menace, quite ironic in its own way! That got me back into the swing of it. Large(r) seats. Better viewing i.e. not having to lean round people's coiffured barnets, much better quality and the sound to go with it. So, I've been going every so often.

Last night was one of these occasions. The eagerly awaited Deathly Hallows. Don't worry, I'm not into reviews of any kind (as you will be well aware from reading my gig posts), so that's not what I'm rambling on about here.
Let's get the moans out of the way first though...

What is it with cinemas and popcorn? Why are the two inextricably linked? I'm sure there is a rational explanation. I can't be bothered to Google it (other search engines are available). Historical probably. Strange though, don't you think? One particular snack is so tied in with viewing a film.
That nicely lead me on to the next gripe - people eating so bloody noisily! Popcorn is hardly the most subtle of foodstuffs to munch down on is it? And then there are the sweets with their multiple wrappers. I know, let's wait until a nice quiet, important section of the film, then we will stuff a sherbet lemon in our gob whilst at the same time pissing off anyone within a 50m radius.
Finally, is it so much to ask that you relieve yourself prior to sitting down? I appreciate that last night's film was over two hours, but that was a steady stream (no pun intended) of weak-bladdered folk traipsing up and down the aisles. Lucky for me (and them maybe) that none came from my row - expecting me to disturb the comfort that I took a while to achieve, standing up to let them by.

These are but small moans though (yeah, right). So onto the positives...

Online booking. Makes life very easy. Pop on the website, order your tickets, turn up at the cinema, stick your card in the machine, out pops the tickets. Job jobbed.
Reasonable priced bar with no queuing. £5.80 for a cider and a white wine.
Good seats. We guessed it would be busy, so got there a good 20 minutes prior to the showing. This got us in to the centre section, about two thirds back. Ideal! I have little for those that turned up with a few minutes to go though, and complained that they couldn't sit together.
Comfortable seats. As I mentioned, the film was quite long, but these were spot on. Mrs B had to keep shuffling, but more of that in a bit.
Great sound and great view.
Straight out without having to get crushed in the rush. Back in the car within 5 mins and away.
All together a good experience.

Personally, I think some of the other HP films are better. This was okay. I'm hoping for more from part 2. I've read this morning that it's being done in full 3D too.

Mrs B did not get on quite so well. She'd had a long day. Grab some quick scampi and chips, then follow that with a large glass of wine and she was really, really struggling to stay awake throughout the film!

No comments: