Sunday, October 22, 2006

Buying Cars!!!

As mentioned previously, we're now in the market for a new car for H. During the week, we've been sussing out the main Mini dealers as well as Auto Trader.
Yesterday we decided to embark on a dealer trip. I was busy until about midday....... oh hang on, I'm gonna have to go off topic for a while. One of our lorry drivers at work has been raving about this mobile snack bar just off Hardwick roundabout (King's Lynn). He's been recommending the bacon rolls. So, as I was busy in Lynn until about 11.30 and knew we were going out, I suggested to H that I call in for one of the aforementioned snacks. This I did. Bloody lovely!!! Basically, it's half a french stick (but soft, not crispy) stuffed full of bacon. I got some brown sauce added, cut in half, wrapped in foil and then brought it home. Totally and utterly delicious!
Right, where was I? Oh yes, car shopping. After our refreshments, we headed out to Peterborough. To the Mini/BMW dealer - Sycamores.
Now, car salesman have a certain place in society. We all know that they are not to be trusted and will sell their blind grandmother for tuppence. This one was no exception. About 20 years old in a sharp suit and designer stubble. That said, he's only trying to make himself a living and wasn't soooooooo bad.
The model we actually were interested in was in the workshop being 'made to look nice'. We took another one out for a test drive and were quite impressed to be honest.
So we were interested and bring on the tough talking.
This is what frustrates H (and I'm sure 80% of the population) why do we have to bloody haggle??? Why can't they they put their price on and we pay it (like in a high street shop). But, that's not how it works. No matter what I do, they're gonna play the game, forcing me into likewise. I don't mind negotiating.
Lots of talk and the little boy running to see his Sales Manager result in him coming back with a final offer of £1300 for our car/discount. So we're talking £9695. We're reasonably okay with this, but H wants the additional driving lights and put this to him. "Oh but that costs over £400!" Absolute rubbish and I tell him so. Eventually, he admits it will cost them about £150. He still declines, so we walk.

So to Bury St Edmunds. This is worse. They don't even have a car we're interested in. The ones that they do have seem over-priced. They are the same spec and same price, but twice the mileage. What gives? The sharp suited kid tells me that they can command that price because of the location. Thisa makes no sense to me as we've just travelled an hour to maybe buy a better car.

So, we're done. It's 4.30pm and no time to get to another dealer before closing time. On the way home, we get looking at the print out from Auto Trader. There's a private car only 15 miles away. Up to now, we've ignored private deals. Well, might be worth a look.
We get home and I give the guy a call. Can we pop round now? Of course. We transfer to the BM and shove Jack in the back. A brief stop at Tesco and we're there within 30 mins.
Straight away, I can tell H is wary. She doesn't like the bloke. He's middle aged, wearing quite a bit of bling and is slightly rude. They've obviously got money and it's a nice bungalow. All of that said, this is a bargain of a car. It's got less than 17K on the clock and is advertised for £9.4K, loaded with extras!
After some small talk, we head out for a test drive. Nothing wrong. Back to their place and me & H have a chat. It seems an absolute bargain and I tell H so. She's still not comfortable though. She's a such a great judge of character and doesn't like this guy. Reason to walk away? No.
So we talk to him, He tells us that the local BM dealer has dealer has offered him £8750 px. So it's up for £9400. Where do I pitch? I go in at a straight £9K and he shakes my hand! I'm a bit surprised and H looks even more suspicious!
Anyway, we head inside to sort things out. His wife appears and H has a good chat with her. Things seem a little more comfortable. I leave him a cheque deposit and we drive away with a plan to pick up the car on Friday.
As it stands, we've got a car that is very slightly older than what we wanted, it'd got very low mileage and loaded with extras. H still feels wary. Why did he agree so readily to my £9K offer? Why is it such a good price? etc
This morning, I get on to the DVLA website to check it out. Ouch. They do not have a record of this registration plate! I do various checks and find the same. I phone the guy to confirm the number, it's correct. Now I'M concerned. He did tell me that they're getting it serviced at the BMW garage in Cambridge on Monday (same place as I got my car from). We walk Jack and think lots. Back home by 10.30 and we're trawling for alternatives, planning trips out to Norwich etc. I then get in touch with said garage at Cambridge. The salesman is able to give me a complete history of the car from when it was first bought.
Why no DVLA record. This I do not know.

Bang up to date then. We've got a bargain of a car in front of us. The guy seems a bit of a prat, but his wife is lovely (like so many couples???). BMW are able to give us a complete history which makes me feel better. What is one to do?
Watch this space. I'll be in touch with the DVLA tomorrow. I've not cancelled my cheque yet!

No comments: