Thursday, August 17, 2006

Why Blog?

Someone that I know on another website has asked if any of the other members on there have a blog, as he's thinking about starting one.
His subject matter is to be all the wildlife that he sees on a daily basis, within a certain area. I think that this would make a great blog.
It does beg the question though as to why people do this?

This is only my take on it, but I'm sure there are plenty of others!

1. Some may do it to get an audience. Almost like preaching. "I've got something to say and now I've got an audience". Of course this relies on people actually being aware of the blog and then to carry on reading it.

2. Some may do it as a personal record, almost like a diary. Diaries are often thought of as personal things. This can still be the case. Just keep your blog secret and/or put a password on it.
But, you may not mind people seeing your ramblings of course.

3. I know of a group of women who have all recently given birth (or are pregnant). They all keep in touch with each other via their blogs. They compare notes, offer support and tell nice little stories about what their little ones have been up to.

4. Similar to the example above, some may see it as a way of keeping people informed of what you're doing.

Where does mine sit? If I had to pigeon-hole it, I guess it's a combination of 2 & 4. I originally started it to keep family and friends informed of how our house project was going. Now that the house is all but finished though, it will probably trundle along with my ramblings and a bit of news of what we're up to.

So, talking of which, what are we up to?

Well it starts off with us both having a day off tomorrow, so that's a good start.
At the weekend, J&D are visiting. First time they'll have been in absolutely ages, so should be good fun.
After that, I've got a fortnight off and H joins me for the second week. Really looking forward to it and got quite a few bits and bobs going on then too. Maybe I'll leave talking about them until nearer the time.

No comments: