Monday, December 18, 2006

A Dream Come True

Well here's a story from yesterday. I've already posted it elsewhere so I'm going to shamelessly cut & paste...

H used to work with a chap called Granville. His son bought this car about 5 years ago. I was insanely jealous at the time as these were my dream cars for a long time.
We still keep in touch with Granville and went there today for lunch. Guess what? Bill (the son) keeps the car at Granville's. I drooled over it for about half an hour.

Anyway, after lunch, the three of us were sat down having coffee and who should turn up?
We talk a little about the car and he says that he came across to take it out for a spin (he doesn't use it much). Did I fancy going with him.

Here are the details...

It's a TVR Cerbera.
This one's a 4.2 litre that's been tweeked to give about 480bhp.
0-60 = 3.9 secs
Top end = 180+ mph

He starts it up and all of the local house's windows begin to shake from the noise.
I crawl into the passenger seat - there's no easy way to get in and out.
As we get out of the village he opens it up. OH MY GOD! The acceleration is unreal.
We blast around for a while and then we're back on a main road and have just overtaken a couple of cars. There's a stream of traffic heading the other way and one of them flashes us, so Bill lifts off.
Sure enough, about half a mile ahead, we spot it. A police car in a layby about half a mile away. As we approach, plod gets out and waves us in. Oooops!
Bill gets me to drop the front numberplate into the front of the screen (it only fell off recently, honest!). The conversation that I hear...

"Do you mind telling me what speed you were doing?"
"Erm, I'm not really sure"
"Well, if you are unable to tell me, I'll do you for driving without due care and attention"
"Erm, about 70 I think"
"Nowhere close son, nowhere close"
Bill gets invited to take a seat in the car.

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty 'cos if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have been going that quick....... probably.

After what seems an age, Bill returns. I just look at him. He says that plod timed him between two lamposts and as he knows the distance between them is able to work out the speed. Bearing in mind he was braking heavily due to the flash from the other car. His average speed was 125mph!

Bill turns to me and says that he must be the luckiest man alive! That sort of speed calculation is insubmissable. Plod doesn't have any speeding device in the car. He was told that he must attend a speeding seminar. That's it!

We go home a different way.
On the way he pulls over and asks me if I'm fully comp insurance.
Three seconds later I'm in the drivers seat. The view is surprisingly good, I can't see any of the bonnet though.
I set off at a steady pace, but can't resist flooring it a few times.
At one point, I'm in third and think that I may be straying above the speed limit. I lift off and a couple of seconds later look down at the speedo. It's 90!!!

I did stall it at a T-junction though . Bill says it took him about a year to get totally used to driving it.

What an incredible experience. It's not often you get a chance like that.

No comments: