Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Demon Days

A quick bit of feedback on that last post - clipless pedals.
I did actually manage to give them a bit of a test (once) before the actual sponsored ride (Sun 16th). A bit of a change for the ride this time as it was from Sandringham. As it turned out, this was probably a better venue. There was definitely an increase in participants.
Ideal conditions - slightly cool. I set off steadily, pacing myself despite being hassled from Barbara & Natasha. As usual, the first hill sorted out a few people. I kep to my usual pace and ploughed along. A good halfway point is the drinks station. I never usually stop here, as I have drinks onboard and prefer to go right through. Immediately after this point are a couple of demon climbs. I went to shift gears partway up one, and my gears were playing up. I desparately tried to get it sorted without losing too much momentum and then it happened...... broken chain! Damnation.
Nothing for it but to turn round and freewheel back to the drinks station.
I was totally gutted, not just because personal pride made me want to complete the whole thing, but there was also a lot of sponsorship money riding(!) on me completing the course. Lots of people were stopped at the drinks station, and I stayed there for a good 20 mins. Zoe & Steve turned up. Steve looked a little worse for wear as he had a bad back. I think we both had the same idea at the same time - use Steve's bike!!!
So this is what I did. It was a lot heavier than mine, I was wearing cleats, the seat was at a ridiculously low height, but hey.... it was a bike!
Sure enough I got round. Pride was spared and, more importantly, all monies were honoured. I'm not totally sure how much was raised in my name, but BS are kind enough to double it.

Photos can be seen HERE. Note - none of me. I really don't like any of the publicity side of things and tend to load up my bike and head home as soon as I've finished the course.

Bring on next year - another year older!

No comments: