Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wed 23rd 04.30 - 05.45

So here goes. It’s now Wed 30th June and I’ve officially had two days to recover, but you wouldn’t think so.

Where to begin?

Tuesday evening was spent watching more of the Glasto documentary from the previous weekend. WW disappeared off to bed fairly early, but myself and Ben persevered until close on 10pm when common sense dictated that the best thing to do was to grab some sleep.

4.30am and the alarm went off. Quick shower, a final shave, then came the task of hauling the gear downstairs and into the car. Coffee was on the go, but we had agreed that food could wait until we were on the way.I got myself and Ben’s stuff in the car. By the looks of it, I was taking marginally more than him but then again, he was the one who had to manage on a train.

The clock ticked round WW happened to mention that Chris Hawkins had just mentioned on BBC 6 Music that if anyone was going to Glastonbury he’d play them a tune. I asked Ben if he fancied anything, but we were both happy for anything so I sent off a quick text. I fully expected nothing to come of it, I mean let’s face it, over a million people listen to it every week.I went to watch out for Jo & Andy. Soon afterwards, my phone rang – private number.

“Hello”“Hi, is that Tom?”, said a female voice.

I thought it was Jo ringing to say that they were five minutes away or something. “Yes, that’s right”

“Hello, it’s Clare from 6 Music here. We thought it would be great if you were to have a chat with us on air”

Was this real?!?! I didn’t doubt it, but was still a little shocked. We had a bit of a chat and she promised to phone back in 5 mins from the studio. I explained the situation to Ben & WW and rushed through to the lounge. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later my phone rang again, it was Clare. She put me through to Chris and we had a brief chat off air, then as the record finished he introduced me and we had an exchange lasting 2-3 minutes. What a great start to the day!!!

Last night, I managed to find it find it on Listen Again from the Beeb website. Using a bit of technical trickery, I managed to record it and later on today, I shall try and upload it to here as a memento. Watch this space.

At the end, Chris said that I should let him know how we got on, so yesterday I emailed him and sure enough, that got read out on air at about 6.45 this morning. Again, I should be able to grab that and chuck it on here after I’ve posted some pics.

So that’s the first instalment. See you later for the photos!

No comments: