Friday, June 04, 2010

Fat Bottomed Girls

So I finally got round to it.... biking to work.
I need to do this for several reasons...
  • It's a nice thing to do, especially in this fine weather
  • It helps keep me fit(ter) and holds the weight at bay
  • It save money on fuel and wear & tear
  • As I bought this bike through a "cycle-to-work" scheme, I'm supposed to be using it as my primary means of getting to work. Oops.

The fact of the matter is, it's not just down to motivation - or lack of. I do have meetings away from site fairly frequently so I need to tie this in with a pool/hire car. Also if I'm on duty, time would be too tight. All that said, I would like to be able to cycle in at least twice per week.

Anyway, yesterday. All geared up (no pun intended). I do enjoy the ride in. At 7am, it's still nice and cool and the country is a lovely place to be at that time. Wildlife is aplenty and I still feel pretty fresh. As usual, I push myself along at cracking pace and was feeling it by the end. I do have a tendency to do this - in all sports like this. If I know I'm doing, say 7.5 miles, I will push myself to match that distance. I CANNOT take it easy, and this is annoying at times.

So, a good journey in. Going home was, as you'd expect, much warmer. I thought it would be harder but I really enjoyed it. There is a particular hill (yes, in Norfolk) that is painful, last night was fine. I put it down to the clipless pedals, but that's probably psychological.

Roll on next week. I'm looking at Tuesday and Thursday.

No comments: