Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So here we are. Glasto Eve.
I'm really going to use this blog as a record of the next five days. Obviously, I'm not going to post "live", but I do have a notebook and, most importantly my cameras!

My emotions over this trip have been very variable. They have gone from terror (seriously) to ecstasy and everything in between. Currently, I'm feeling what I have been mostly. A mixture of apprehension, nervousness and excitement.

Apprehension - mostly centres around sleep... or lack of it. I think that as you get older, you need sleep more. Now, I can go without and have done on many occasions, but we're talking five days here! I seem to have lost the ability to lay in these days. So we'll see. Your body is very good at adapting.None of the other things bother me so much. Rubbish toilets? Crowds? Mud? Nah, I'm fine with all of that.

Nervousness - what to expect? I'm going with Ben (Reg's housemate). I sort of know him, but only been out with him a couple of times. Two others - Jo & Andy, are both from Dereham and I have no idea what they are like. It's a car share thing. Still, we're likely to have 6 hours in the car to all get to know each other. Getting there should be fine. Hopefully the queues won't be any where near as bad as last year. I don't mind queuing a bit. A bit of a trek across the fields to get to wherever we decide to camp. I have a massively full big rucksack, a jam-packed small rucksack, a bit tent and an Ikea bag full of cider and port! It weighs quite a bit, but I'll cope. Pics to follow!

Excitement - what can I say? To a lot of people, Glasto is the best thing to happen.... ever. They say it's the best party in the world. You meet strangers who become friends for life. You meet randoms who you share precious moments with. Lots of tears (of joy). 175,000 people all in one place, all desperate to enjoy themselves and have a good time. That, in itself, bodes well. They do say that the weather can make it awful. This year, we're set for wall to wall sunshine. What a 40th it's going to be (and me being 40).

It all begins tonight really. H is bringing Ben back from Peterborough. He got the train down from Lincoln. An early night calls. Had a few late ones lately and suffering.
Tomorrow, up at 4.30am. Andy & Jo get here about 5.20, then we're on the way. Satnav says 4.5 hours. I just hope to get in and set up by about 12. Then it's off down to the pyramid stage to watch England at 15.00. What an atmosphere that's going to be. Apparently, the last time it was the biggest audience to watch the game in one place.

I shall look forward to reporting back here with many photos next week.

Okay. Let's do it!

No comments: