Monday, July 05, 2010

Wed 23rd June @ 18:00

So, sat in front of my tent to THAT view.
A cold-ish cider in my hand.

Ben managed to get in about 3m to my left. Jo & Andy had to go a bit further back, but still reasonably close. We all got our tents up fairly quickly. I then emptied bits of my rucksack. I had read that a good thing to do to deter thieves was to make your tent quite "messy" i.e. empty stuff out of bags and spread it around. So I did a bit of this. Another tip was to put any cans that you had under your groundsheet and then put a bit of water on them. Didn't bother with this one. I can make do with warm cider.

10-15 mins and we all gathered at the space directly in front of my tent, christened my patio - despite it only being about one metre square.

Right let's go. I stuck a few things into my small rucksack along with a rolled up water container for later. We make a mental note of exactly where our tents are. Again, this is supposed to be a common problem - losing where you are.

Off down the hill to the main road through our field, then left to the end. A toilet block here - the infamous Long Drops, but more of them later. Down a footpath. Disabled camping to our right and at the bottom, some more toilets. We go left and pass into..... yet another camping field. This one has a cafe at the entrance as well as a "lock-up". I shall explain about these a bit later, as I made very good use of them.



Onwards along a track, and then down again before we arrive at a main inter-section. Right would take us to the Dance Village and the John Peel stage, straight on through a "street" of stalls to the other stage and right to the Pyramid stage. Right it is.

On our left is a big bank of portaloos (turdises, as they're more affectionately called). A short walk and we're entering the Pyramid stage field proper. I'm overwhelmed at the mass of people. It's not that crowded, it's just the sheer volume of people just wandering around. The other thing that strikes me is the rubbish on the floor. Now remember that England played earlier. The rubbish is just from that match, predominantly empty cardboard cups.



Pausing for breath at the stage itself, we have a good look around. Watching it previously on TV doesn't prepare you for how big everything is. The Pyramid stage itself is just vast!

We keep on across the field reaching the other side, then hang a left down another "street". When I say street, what I mean is just a big track. Some of it still grass, some of it dirt, and down the centre is some metal staging for vehicles. On either side are stall after stall. In this area, it's mainly food, but elsewhere they contain stalls selling anything you care to think of. And the food is mightily impressive. Again, anything you can think of. And talking of which...

After a bit more walking, Andy & Jo decide to try something. Both come back with a big tray of noodles each. I am offered some, but save myself. I'm reliably informed that they were very delicious. We're now getting towards the Other stage and I spot a stall that's selling the "Welsh Oggie". Basically, it's a huge pasty. Unfortunately, they don't have the Welsh ones, so I opt for a Lamb Oggie. Exactly the same, but lamb not beef and with a mint sauce flavour. It's absolutely delicious. £3.90 sounds a lot, but it is very filling and I don't manage it all. A complete meal!

By this time, Ben has been in touch with his friends Tracy (the one who was to be traveling with us) and Victoria. We arrange to meet them here and it's time for some more gazing about at the whole site. Ten minutes or so and they arrive so we go off wandering again. First to the Cider Bus. It is what it says, a double-decker bus selling cider. Fortunately, there's a largeish bar linked in with it to meet demand. A couple of medium ciders here and off wandering again. Past the circus and cabaret tents and eventually arriving at West Holts - another stage.

In this area is the famous Brothers Bar. It turns out to be one of my favourite places. I'll explain why at a later stage (no pun intended). A few cold ciders are enjoyed here. We're also treated to another Glastonbury phenomenon - random cheering. You'll be sat there having a good natter, when in the distance you'll hear a cheer. It gets closer and closer and you can't help yourself but join in as it sweeps over you and away. It's like a Mexican wave but with sound. At first you look around to see what people are cheering at, but after a few times you realise that it's just because people are just happy to be there. Adds to the magic.
Tracy & Victoria decide to go and get coats as it's turning a bit chilly. Myself & Andy are feeling it a bit as we're still in T-Shirts. After another cider, we decide to warm up by moving on. Stone Circle time!





It does what it says on the tin. A mini Stone Henge if you will. One of THE things to do is to see the sunrise at the Stone Circle. I can tell you now, I didn't manage it!
We pass through the Greenfields area and up the hill. As we reach the Stone Circle field I'm struck again by quite how many people there are. Nothing much on as it's still only Wednesday, so a lot of people had the same idea as us. We're talking quite a few thousand. Wandering around the field we see fire jugglers, people sitting down chatting, people singing around fires. They all have something in common... they all have big grins/smiles. This is Glastonbury and we're all here.






Totally lost track of the time. I ask Jo and and it's gone midnight. We all agree that it's quite late enough for the first day, especially as we were all up at 4-ish.

We're at the exact opposite side of the site to our tents, but the walk back is amazing. So many different people, so many sights. I put my rucksack in the lock-ups and we head up to our field. Despite it being dark, we manage to meander our way through all the tents, carefully stepping over dozens of guy ropes. I join Andy & Jo for a nightcap and call it a night.

A nice cosy sleeping bag, a comfy sleep mat, earplugs and an eye mask. I wonder how I'll sleep? Only one way to find out...

No comments: