Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Wed 24th June @ 07:00

Sleep. It’s a wonderful thing.
So I wake up in a strange environment. I’m not used to sleeping with an eye mask on, so that was a bit odd. Also, my ear plugs weren’t the best. The sound that was echoing around my tent was the babbling of at least three people with rather strong scouse accents.
I don’t wear a watch, so I reached for my phone and turned it on. It doesn’t retain its battery life so well, so I was keeping it turned off for the most part. 7am. I can live with that. Sometimes at home, I’m awake at least an hour before that. So that’s a good six hours sleep.

I will now share yet another top tip with you. Wide-necked, fabric conditioner bottles. They are very good things. Why? It saves you from an early morning trip to the loo! Go back a couple of years and Lenor (other brands are available) did the ideal product. Unfortunately, it seems that all of the bottles that you get these days are clear. Not the best. Soon got over that hurdle. Before I left, chucked a bit of gloss paint in it and splashed it around. Voila, one opaque bottle.

Okay, straight into what was to become my morning routine. Wetwipe wash, dressed and get the kettle on.
I’m one of the many people who need an early morning coffee. Some weeks before, I had purchased a stove device. This was on the recommendation of someone else and it didn’t disappoint. Meths-powered, so no messing about with gas. Soon had a half a billy can of water on the go.
So there I am perched on my stool. A steaming coffee awaiting and glass (cup) of wine to wash it all down. This is a French type thing. Trust me, it sets you up nicely for the day. Remember the view? Happy to sit and watch the whole site coming alive. What I also noted, from my lofty vantage point, was the massive queues for the toilets and the water point. Much relieved to have collected mine the night before.

By about 9am, Ben had joined me on my patio. Jo & Andy weren’t far behind. Off we go for day two.

We took the same route as previously described. Paused to pick up my rucksack. Ah, the Lock-ups. What an ingenious idea. A lot of festivals have mini lockers where they charge you a couple of quid to get a locker. The lock-ups are much better. Picture a small marquee with just the one entrance of a counter. Within are 2-3 rows of shelves. Each unit is manned 24 hrs by volunteers. Basically, you turn up with whatever you want to deposit (no restriction, although I’m sure that a small child may be frowned upon). They take a few details from you and give you one half of a ticket. When you want to collect, you hand in the ticket. They also check a few details and you’re sorted. It’s all very efficient and very secure. There’s not even a charge – although they do ask for donations and I was happy to contribute every single time.

Rucksack claimed, on we go, back down towards the intersection as described before. Andy decides that a bacon roll and a coffee are required. Ben goes for the Pepsi and myself & Jo hold fire. Sorry to mix food and toilets right now, but you’re going to get warts and all with this blog (well, I might skip over the drugs bit in case my mother reads it!).
We just happen to be close to the portaloo bank, so I chance my arm. I strike lucky! Very clean and even has a hook on the rear of the door to hang by bag on.
The one criticism I would have of this “turdis” is how bloody hot it was. Myself coming out of a portaloo sweating must have raised a few eyebrows. It was all innocent, I tell you.




Back to the bimbling. Ah yes, bimbling. A term that I have heard only at Glastonbury. It suits it very well and is a term used to describe the act of wandering around taking in everything of your surrounds.
We took the usual path round the left hand side of the Pyramid stage, following various “streets” round to the other stage. There was a bit of a point to this actually. Following on from Andy’s breakfast, myself and Jo were getting hungry. We were on the hunt, the hunt for a Growler aka The Pauline Fowler.
At a (very) rough guess, there are well in excess of 200 food stalls around the site. We had no idea where the stall was that sold said item, so it was indeed a challenge

Why the Growler, and what is it?
The forum where I met Jo & Andy has a food thread and I loved looking through it. One of the "must do" things was have a growler. Myself and Jo are getting through the list at a good rate of knots...

- Have a cider at the cider bus
- Have a cider at the Brothers bar
- Have an Oggie
- Have a Growler!

Time is now pressing and we're both starving. I start to think about leaving it until another day, so have a glance around at the other stalls. I see one that is selling something called a Garlic Guzzler. Now THAT sounds tempting. But wait.... what's that stall next door!?!?!



Hurray for the Growler...



Basically, take a medium baguette, stick some bacon in it, stick some chips on top, stick some cheese on top of that. Grill until the cheese melts. Add mayo and ketchup.
Admittedly it sounds a little heavy, and it is! BUT boy does it set you up for the day.
It was so good, that upon seeing myself & Jo tuck into ours, Ben had to get one. Except he doesn't like bacon, so it was a Big Dog for him. The same with a sausage instead of the bacon.
I realise now that I'm not doing the best selling job for Glastonbury's magnificent food offerings, but stick with me on this.

I also realise that I am rambling (not in the walking kind of way, because as already discussed, herein that's called bimbling). But, what the hell. If you don't like it, page down!

Forgot to mention that on the way from an intersection to the Other stage we'd lost Andy. This is VERY easy to do. Take many thousands of people, all meandering around, all being distracted by some great sights and you cannot keep together as a group. It matters not though. We're not there as a group really. We have each other's mobiles should we need it. So, we finish off the Growlers and head off again, in no particular direction.
Ben says that he's going to meet up with his friends and head to watch a film. Myself and Jo bid him farewell and keep walking. For some reason, I fancy the teepee field followed by a lounging area. It looks a fair walk, but it's fairly quiet up there and I'm sure that the view will be worth it. Off we trot, passing through the Park on the way....





So on we go, up the hill...

No comments: