Saturday, May 05, 2007

Safari Beach

There's one thing that I'm pretty strong in - willpower. If I decide that I'm going to do something. I really can put my mind to it.

So, at the beginning of the year, although it wasn't really a New Year's resolution, I decided that I was going to get back into running, cut back a bit on the alcohol and maybe lose some weight in the process.

Stats wise, I was about 13s 10lb and being a little tight in 34" trousers.

I started with a few little runs. Mostly taking Jack around the block. So it was somewhere in the region of 2 miles. It was bloody hard. But I stuck at it. Initially jogging 3 times per week. No less.

And steadily, I've been getting better.

Up to date. I now do just under 4 miles per run (often more), with just one rest day per week. I run round instead of jogging. Jack has had to fall by the wayside, as by the end, I was having to drag him along to keep up.
Results wise too, I've had to buy new trousers and jeans. a very comfortable 32" waist. I'm now down to about 12st 5lB. The 12 stone barrier is in sight.
On Thursday, my ankles were suffering a bit and I though about making it my rest day. But it's a bit like a drug. I feel as though I want to do something everyday. So I went to the gym, for the first time in about 8 months. Straight in, I dived on the stepper. 30 minutes later, I'd hit 560 calories. It felt very good.
Last night, I walked Jack with H. I felt like going out on the bike, but it was pretty windy - a bikers hatred. So, maybe Friday would be the rest day. But no, again I was restless. I decided to have a steady trot round my usual route. Except I probably did it quicker than ever before and again, it felt very good.

So, here I am at 37 years old.
Twenty years ago, I started smoking, and that continued on and off about 12 years. I also went to the gym on and off. I cycled on and off. But all of that said, I am now probably fitter than I have been since my early 20s.
Like I said, it's a bit addictive too.

No comments: