Friday, May 25, 2007

True Faith

I've just realised that I haven't updated you on the bike ride.
It was last Sunday. As mentioned previously, we had a friend, Reg, come and stay. On the Sturday evening at about 9pm, we decided to pop down to the Livvy to have a couple of beers and also see the a band, Roxoff, playing.
The plan was to have a couple and head for home at about 10.30.
Ooops. 10.30 turned into midnight, and a couple turned into well, several.

So I woke up on the Sunday a little bit worse for wear. Not the best start to a 14 mile ride out. Still, head out to Dersingham we did.

It was a nice day with a bit of sun and little wind. A good turnout too, maybe about 60 riders. We duly got set off my some mayor or other.
I sat back at about 7th to start, but after about half a mile, we hit the first (and steepest) hill. This seemed like a brick wall to some, but I just sat back in the saddle and motored on up without dropping a gear. So leading all the way up, I put some space between myself and everyone else.
Now anyone who thinks that Norfolk is flat is welcome to come and try this ride. Believe me, there are some fierce hills! But, for every climb, there is a drop.
I was aiming to do the ride in about an hour, so where possible, I kept my speed above 14. It became somewhat difficult to gauge though as on the uphills, I'd drop to about 10 and on the downhill get as quick as 25.
Still, I pushed on. I stayed a long way out in front until about 5.5 miles when an 18 year old went flying past me on a proper road bike. There is no way on this earth that I'd have been able to stay with him, so I let him go and carried on at my own pace.
The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. It didn't seem that long until I came back to the start/finish. H & Reg weren't expecting me and were sat in the car. I hopped off the bike and checked my time. 53 minutes with an average of 15.8mph. Very pleased with that. I swear at some point though that I was sweating 80% Kronenburg!



Thanks for the sponsorship. Now I need your money!

No comments: